Driving a golf cart in Port Aransas is legal, as long as you obey certain laws and rules designed for your safety and the safety of others on the road. It is your duty and responsibility to know and obey all laws pertaining to the use of a golf cart on city streets.
- Golf carts are considered motor vehicles. Most traffic laws apply to their operation, including open container and DWI laws.
- The beach is a city street.
- Golf carts may only be operated by persons with a valid operator’s permit and/or driver’s license.
- Golf carts may not be operated on Highway 361, south of the intersection of Avenue G.
- Golf carts must move to the right and yield the right of way to faster moving vehicles.
- Golf carts may not be operated upon any public sidewalk, pedestrian walkway, playground, public park, school ground, or other public recreational areas not designated for motor vehicle traffic.
- The driver and every occupant of a golf cart must remain seated in a seat designed to hold passengers while the golf cart is in motion.
- No person may ride in the lap of the driver or any other occupant.
Source: Scott Burroughs, Chief of Police, Port Aransas, Texas.